- Created by Ann Base, last modified on Mar 21, 2023
This article describes how an operator creates a user in Smart ID Identity Manager. Read more here: Smart ID Workforce use cases.
The created user will, as default, get a password and have the Self-Service and the Operator role. See also the "Prerequisites" section.
- The default roles must have been uploaded, read more here: Users
- The Self-Service role and the Operator role are default. Any changes regarding default roles must have been done in Identity Manager Admin before the user is created (see Upload default roles). To add or remove roles after the user has been created, see Edit roles.
Step-by-step instruction for the operator
- Log in to Identity Manager Operator with your user account.
In the Quick search drop-down list, select User.
Click Create user.
To cancel the process, see "Cancel the process" below.
Enter the following user data in the form:
Field name Type of field
Text, pre-filled IDM for manual creation of a user, CSV or LDAP when applicable
Editable Smith Editable email@example.com
A department, sub-department, or work group
Editable A company name or a department in the company
Editable For example, Solution designer or Technical writer
Drop-down Select the identifier that shall be used to identify the user. To create identifiers see Create identifier.
- Capture or upload a photo
Click Next to create the user.
Depending on the configuration, there can be options added to the use case, see "Options" below.
- The password letter is shown including the password for the user. Select to Print or Cancel.
To cancel the process:
- Click Cancel to close the process.
- Click Next to proceed with the process.
Use case details
|Use case description||As an operator I want to create a new user and add necessary data in Identity Manager|
Identity Manager Operator
Quick search>User>Create User
The options are configured by the administrator via a script in Identity Manager Admin and can be used by the operator and self-service user.
The script already exists with default values, so you only need to change the values as needed, not create the script.
Option: Provide password delivery method
- Default = print
- Delivery method can be print (default), email, or no password will be provided
- The user is informed in an email that the password must be changed at first login
- To change password delivery method, see here: Users - Manage option to send a user password
Option: Set photo size
- Height = 400 pixels
- Width = 300 pixels
- Size = 2048 kB
- To manage the option, see here: Users - Manage option to set photo size.
Option: Add an approval step
- Default = false
- To manage the option, see here: Users - Manage option to have an approval step
- Read more here: Users - Approval handling
Option: Add uniqueness check
- Default = true
- Default uniqueness identifier = email
- To manage the option and/or change the unique identifier, see here: Users - Manage option to add a uniqueness check
- If the uniqueness check fails, a popup shows information that there is already a user with this email (or other identifier)
- Click Back to go back to the start form and update the user data.
- Click OK to close the process. The user is deleted or is not saved.
Option: End state of user shall be active
- Default = active
- To manage the option, see here: Users - Manage option to set end state of the created user
Use case scenarios
Create a user manually