Nexus' solution for protecting vehicle-to-grid communication (V2G) with PKI certificates is compliant with common standards and used in plug & charge applications.
Plug & charge use case
The plug & charge functionality has the following goals:
- E-roaming: any e-vehicle with a contract from any mobility operator can charge at any charge point
- Usability: effortless, cashless and transparent payment without the need for RFID or mobile identification
- Smart tariffs, bill signing: the mobility operator signs bills - with dynamic tariffs - on behalf of the consumer
- Smart charge control: charging profile can be prepared according to grid status
The goal of V2G PKI is that the following parties can trust each others’ certificates and contracts:
- Vehicle manufacturers (OEMs) provide IDs for e-vehicles (EVCCs) with plug & charge functionality.
- Charge point operators (CPO) provide IDs for charge points (SECCs) with plug & charge functionality.
- Mobility operator (MO) close contracts with consumers and provide signed electronic contracts for the e-vehicle, which are presented to the charge point for charging.
Nexus' V2G PKI solution is based on Smart ID Certificate Manager, which has the following features:
High availability and performance
- Guaranteed high performance with a proven capacity to issue 10,000 certificates per second
- Offered as a managed service - with guaranteed SLA and capacity as you grow - or for licensing
- High availability, with >99,7% uptime measured on monthly basis
- Supports monitoring via logs or SNMP, reporting possibilities and regular backups and health checks
The solution complies with international standards, such as the following:
- ISO 15118 for plug & charge, where Nexus were early adopters in close technical cooperation and agile approach together with customers
- PKI policy and management according to ETSI 319 411-1 “Normalized Certificate Policy”, yearly audit
- Quality-assured, high-security CA software certified in compliance with Common Criteria EAL 4+
- Nexus has solid PKI expertise since > 20 years and numerous large-scale references
- Nexus’ data center and organization comply with ISO 27001
- Nexus’ organization comply with the VDA ISA requirements in TISAX (Trusted Information Security Assessment Exchange), the information security standard for the automotive industry
- Mature, future-safe, highly reliable, continuously tested and maintained software
- Highly scalable horizontally by adding service nodes.
- Multi-CA and multi-tenancy enabled platform helps you adapt the PKI hierarchy, administration and reporting to your needs.
Ensuring trust in the ISO 15118 Plug and Charge Ecosystem
With a trusted and secure charging ecosystem, the future of electric mobility becomes more promising than ever before.
See our whitepaper to discover how ISO 15118-2 and -20 standards empower secure and seamless transactions in the EV charging ecosystem:
- No labels